Louis von Doussa
Louis von Doussa founded the firm in 1872.
Stanley von Doussa
In between being Attorney–General for various periods of time, Louis ran the firm himself with the assistance of his son Stanley von Doussa until about 1930. (At one time a branch office was opened at Mannum which office traded under the name of ‘S B von Doussa’. It later became known as ‘Burdett & Brookman’ before later changing its name to ‘Mason Westover & Rowe’).
Bill von Doussa
William Louis von Doussa (known as Bill von Doussa), who was a grandson of Louis, joined the firm in about 1930 and ran the firm until about 1974. Bill’s son is John von Doussa QC, a former Supreme Court Judge, Federal Court Judge, and Human Rights Commissioner, and Chancellor of the University of Adelaide.
Upon Bill’s death the firm was taken over by Grant Harris, who had joined the firm as an employee in 1969. Grant Harris retired from the firm in early 1984 to become a Magistrate.
Ross McOmish joined the firm in 1977 and became a partner later that year.
In 1985 the firm changed its name to von Doussa Tucker & Co following a loose arrangement between it and the firm of ‘E J Tucker & Sons’ at Strathalbyn. Upon moving into the firm’s new premises in von Doussa Mall in 1990 the firm name was changed to ‘von Doussas’. The Tucker firm, with offices at Strathalbyn and Victor Harbor, was later absorbed by Stanley & Partners, and later still, by Jeremy Moore under the name of ‘Moore Law’.
Henry Ringwood merged his practice of Ringwood & Co with von Doussas in 1995. Henry had conducted his practice at Mount Barker and elsewhere in the Adelaide Hills for 15 years or so prior to the merger.
From that point on there were a small number of non-capital partners within the firm. In around 1998, there was a short-lived merger between Roberts Belperio Clark and von Doussas.
Ross McOmish and Henry Ringwood both left the firm in 2001, and it was purchased by it’s current proprietor. It has been carried on by him since that time.