Motor Vehicle Accidents

If you’ve suffered personal injury in a motor vehicle accident, our personal injury lawyers in Adelaide and Mount Barker can help you get the maximum amount of compensation that you’re entitled to under law.

When Can You Claim?

You may be able to bring a claim if you suffered personal injury, or if your vehicle or other property was damaged, as a result of a motor vehicle accident and the accident was not your fault or was not entirely your fault.

This includes accidents where you were a driver, a passenger, a pedestrian, or a cyclist.

Who Do You Claim Against?

All drivers in South Australia are required to hold Compulsory Third Party Insurance, which pays out claims for any personal injury (but not property damage) resulting from a motor vehicle accident.

Because you are making your personal injury claim against the insurer and not the person responsible, you may consider making a claim where you are injured as a result of the negligence of a friend or family member.

Allianz Australia is presently the only claims manager handling personal injury claims covered by Compulsory Third Party Insurance in South Australia, and when making a claim you deal exclusively with them. You can often deal with Allianz Australia yourself, but retaining a lawyer to represent you is the best way to maximise the amount of compensation that you recover.

What Can You Claim For?

Depending on the nature of your personal injury, our lawyers may be able to claim for any—

  • physical injuries;
  • pain and suffering;
  • scarring or disfigurement;
  • psychological injuries;
  • medical expenses (past and future);
  • necessary home modifications;
  • necessary equipment for day-to-day living;
  • services required to look after you (including voluntarily);
  • services required to maintain your home or garden;
  • lost income (past and future);
  • lost sick leave or annual leave entitlements; and
  • loss or suffering of your spouse or domestic partner.

You can also claim for damage to your vehicle or other property if it’s not insured, though such damage is not covered by the Compulsory Third Party Insurance and must be claimed separately.

Three-Year Time Limit

You normally have three years after you suffer a personal injury to bring a lawsuit in court. In some circumstances, it is possible to obtain an extension of time from the court, but it’s always best to see a lawyer as soon as possible.

Seeing a lawyer early allows the lawyer to gather accurate information and prepare adequately before filing a lawsuit in court. It’s the best way to maximise the amount you can successfully claim.

No Win, No Fee

If you have a personal injury claim that has legal merit but you cannot afford to pay for a lawyer, our lawyers in Adelaide and Mount Barker can act for you on a no win, no fee basis. Click here for details.

Obligation-Free Meeting

We offer obligation-free first interviews for personal injury matters. Click here for details. Or contact us.